April 9, 2011

Ch. 12: A Farewell Part One

Photobucket
Valentin stared up into the sky until the helicopter faded away from his sight. He wondered what that was all about... perhaps it's a patrol force doing their task? Strange, the view was quite rare to be found here. Probably there was a fugitive running around town, still it didn't matter. He had already had a few problems to take care of himself. If he must, he would leave this place, the small village on the west side of France where people knew so much about others -- their latest affairs, including him getting into the prison a few weeks before. Until then, others who knew him had not believed  of Mrs. Ivy's accusation about him, others like Monsieur Dutiel  - his boss, Mrs. Girard , and Mr. and Mrs. Fouchier who were  nice and friendly neighbors.

“Thank you, Valentin.” Mr. Fouchier once said to him after he had  just finished fixing the leaky roof and was climbing down on the ladder.

“No problem, Monsieur.” Valentin replied, wiping off the drops on his forehead, readying off to say goodbye and go home.

“Wait!” Mr. Fouchier said. “You can take this home with you, lad.“
Photobucket
“What about Eveline and Henry?"  Valentin glanced away, fully aware of Mrs. Fouchier's glare at him. 

“Don't worry. We have plenty, we're even worrying if they would go be wasted rather than be eaten. Right, honey?"

"Eh...  yes." Mrs. Fouchier cleared her throat. She spun around and leave them alone on the threshold of her house.

"Your sister would love them." 


Mr. Fouchier excused himself after he  had given the basket full of sandwiches.

“Who gave us these?” Rosaline asked him when they were sitting on a picnic blanket in their backyard. One hand  held a burger, the other tried to contain the crumbs. 
Photobucket
“Mr. Fouchier did.” Valentin answered, fiddling with his pen trying to figure out the mathematical problem. 

“Really? Wow! There's plenty of them. I'm going to come over there tomorrow and maybe I will bring  tomatoes with me."

"Sure." Valentin  said -- still being focused on the equation. 

“D' you want some?” 

“No, I’ve already had at Mr. Fouchier’s house.”

Soon, his stomach made a growl that he could almost yell at it. Stupid! Stupid stomach!  Of course, he didn't yell like that… or else Rosaline would have had known... yet, she had already known.
Photobucket
"Come on, I know you're hungry." She chuckled.  Valentin smiled sheepishly and then  put aside his notepad. 
Photobucket
Remembering the past often made his face turned into a smile.

Though, most of their neighbors had faith that he didn't do such a horrible thing for breaking in into Mrs. Ivy’s villa, he knew he must do something about it. The chain of unfortunate must be broken immediately. “Things will be far better than now, Rose.” He gritted his teeth and clenched his fist. Maybe somewhere else, he would do better?  Mr. Chang's offer to work in Egypt was a good offer and maybe he could get that fifty thousand simoleons in there? Still, his reason to stay was  thousand times stronger. She --and only she- -was his only reason. Even if he has to leave her, he would not leave without a farewell.

Valentin took a deep breath and exhaled. The cold wind brushed violently against his skin, rustling between the leaves and whispered into his ear. That night, he was going to tell her that he would love her no matter what.  He's not going to give up on her, even though she had asked him to. His feeling had been kept inside his heart for almost his lifetime -- though, he had only realized it and had the courage to admit it... one year before.



“My pretty bunny-” He whispered to her when she was fallen asleep on his shoulder. Back then, he didn't quite understand why he said that, he only smiled as those words had come out of his mouth.

Resting peacefully and calm, her face was soft like an innocent baby. He wrapped her body  tighter to make sure she'd get enough of his body heat to fight against the cold night. That night felt so right. Every other night should always be like this.

Her head moved slightly, but soon clung back onto his shoulder.  Caressing her hair, he could smell the fragrance of red grapes, soothing and relaxing his soul. So,  she had finally made it. Even at a time when they didn't have extra money to buy a shampoo, she took what she could get from her garden and mixed it with water and soap. This girl is so smart that she could live in the woods if she was forced to. 

She was close -- close enough that he could feel his breaths pushing her dangling hair on her forehead. It'd only take a slight move to kiss her on her forehead. He didn't know on what hour they were because he didn't have a watch round his wrist. Still, it didn't matters. Time froze as he held her close.

“Val…” She whispered.



He listened to her, wondering whether his hearing was right. Did she have just call his name in her sleep?

Catching up with her  breaths, she was delirious about their childhood, especially about a time when he was fighting with Rick Peterson to stop him from bullying her. It's funny that she still remembered all the little things they did as kids back then. Those were childish and innocent acts when everything was easy  and when they were so overwhelmed by their parents' love. Now, things were different. His face turned somber as he heard her calling out his mother's name, Helen.

She must have really missed her.

He leaned closer and kissed her on her forehead.

 
A sudden yet gentle jolt shoved him on his chest. Her head moved upright as she pulled her body away from him.
With her eyes closed tight,  she yawned widely. Her elbow stroked hard against his chin. "Whoa, careful, Rose!"

"Val?” She covered her mouth. Her eyes wide open. For him, she was still looking so sweet  even though she had just woken up  and was being stunned like that.

Of course, she couldn't get away easily.

"Ouch!" He groaned, bowing his head down and holding his jaw.



"What's wrong? You Ok?"

He shook his head.

"It couldn't be that bad, right?"

"No. I think I've just lost my tooth here."

"Really? Let me see it."

"Got you!" He chuckled.

"Vaal!"
Photobucket





“I thought you were in a great pain. I was going to call Mr. Ross (a veterinarian) " said Rose, seriously.
 
"Are you kidding me? I'm not a pet."
 
Rosaline chuckled. "What time is this?" She asked, landing her gaze to his shoulder -- to the rumple she had made when her head leaned heavily against his shirt. “I- I fell asleep?” She clutched her skirt.
 
“This?" Valentin pointed out at the spot she was looking at. "This is nothing compared of being lectured by Miss Alice, of course. I can handle this-” He laughed, remembering the time when she was delirious about Ms. Alice. However, looking sideways at her, he found a tempting look on her face , a chance to tease her with a simple line like: "Except for the drooling part, of course.”
 
“D-Drooling?"
 
“All night long. See it?”

 
“Where?”

 
“This. I swear you could fill up a whole bucket with this, Rose!”

 
"VAL!"

 
“Ha- ha! Stop it! Stop it, Rose! ”



Valentin's laughter grew louder. She was tickling him on his belly, right on his weakness spot.

“Okay, I give up. You didn't drool."

“I knew it." She snapped her little fingers.

"Actually..." Valentin smiled. "I was going to add that you weren't only drooling, Rose, you're also talking in your sleep and...." He held  his chin. "You mentioned Rick several times. Really, Rose, if I have known that you have a crush on him, I wouldn't have made his face turned purple. It's okay though, you can always talk to me."

“A crush? On Rick?” Rosaline squealed. Only to think about it was already making her want to puke. Ewww! 

“Val, I know you're not telling me the truth. Admit it or you'll be sorry!”

She tickled him again. He tried to elude. He held her arms as a defense, but her weight pushed him down until his back bumped against the seat of the bench. The coldness from the marbles pierced his neck. Their eyes met.  Holding her hands closer onto his chest, he felt her heartbeats raced against his own.
Their breaths were almost collided.

He knew he could stay on like this forever...  
.. beside her -- the girl whom he really loved.

He swore he could have kissed her that moment, that night, but she pulled herself away from him. His fingers brushed against her cheek, pushing his adrenaline rush as a side effect.
What feeling is this?
One thing for sure, it wasn't normal-- wasn't the feeling you're supposed to have when you were with someone you considered as a friend or a sister. 

"So... why did you go out here by yourself, Rose?” He cleared his throat, trying to be calm as possible in front of her. It only took a brief for them to finally sit quietly on the bench.

“As I've told you, I like it here, the composure it brings, and…” 

“- and it's the place where you can talk with mom and dad.” He continued for her. “I know Rose, but you should also realize that you're a girl. We don't know yet if there's going to be a crazy man out there wandering about.” He would have continued: a crazy man who once held them inside the basement. He didn't tell her since he didn't want her to remember it again. “You have to stop acting like this, Rose, seriously!”

“I know, Val." She smiled. "Sorry to make you feel worried, but... once in a while, you have to stop worrying about me. I'm a big girl-- old enough to take care of myself.  If you're always worrying about me, you will lose the excitement of your own life. I thought you didn't mind since I guess you and... ” She cleared her throat. 

“... wanted to be left alone in there.”

“What? Me and …. Ridiculous! I could not possibly be okay when you're out here alone by yourself. I care more about you than I care about her.”

Those words came out of his mouth made her stare at him attentively. He tapped his fingers on his thighs. He knew  from the corner of his eyes that she was still observing him closely.

“It's- It's for mom and dad. I couldn't possibly let you hurt, you know?”

“I know.” She smiled, looking at him doing funny gestures with his fingers. “Val….”

“Yeah?”

“Can I lean on your shoulder again?”

“O-of course, you can..."

He pushed himself closer  while she was leaning her head gently on his shoulder.


He held his breath.  Silence was drifting by between them.

“She's pretty, isn't she?” She suddenly spoke. He could hear her between the rustling of leaves, the drum of his heartbeats and the slowly uttered, mournful tone of an owl resting on a branch of a walnut tree.

“Who?”

“Annabelle, of course. She’s beautiful. I think she really likes you.”

“Does she?” He said. “You’re beautiful too, Rose.”

“Ha?" She moved her head slightly."I really cannot believe those words came out of your mouth, Val.”

“Why? Can’t I compliment on you sometimes?”

She chuckled and leaned back again on his shoulder.

"You know… Mom asked me why you haven't introduced Annabelle as your girlfriend. Dad asked about it too." 

“They did?”

 She nodded.

“I- I guess... we haven't reached that state of relationship, Rose. There’s a part of her she’s still keeping from me. I think ... she hasn't fully trusted me yet."

Rosaline smiled. “It'll take time, Val, for someone to fully trust you. I hope things would work out for both of you, though.”

“You really hope so?” He frowned. Her last sentence came rushing forward like a big wave crashed into a rock, dispersed into thousands of froth – left him with disappointments.

Rosaline pulled her body away and sat up right.

“Do you still remember the time when I asked you about mom and dad after the funeral?” She said, turning her gaze to a gravestone in front of her.

“I was wondering if they were happy up there. Now, as I've come to realize that they're still  living inside my heart, I know that they are, especially about you, Val. They're proud of you for everything you have done and for being a good brother. You have done everything you could even though we both know  how hard it was. I know... sometimes you even let me eat first and have your share of bread. It means so much. I love you and I want you to be happy. It's all I wanted.”

Rosaline turned to him.  Her eyes glistening. His arms were eager to reach her.

“Even though,” She said again. “I must admit  that I was a bit afraid that everything will change, but I know you will never be.”  She smiled again. 

“Silly-“ Valentin lifted his hand and then  brushed his fingers against the tip of her nose. 

“Why did you even think about that? I will always love you, silly girl."  


~Love has different kind of forms ~ 

The dark cloud hanging thousand miles away over their heads was sheering off – leaving the sky with a full bright moon which was beginning to fade into the dawn. The time for the darkness to rule has ended. Owls were flying off  into their nests. Valentin and Rosaline were ready to embrace the morning light -- even the rush hours were already started in that early dawn.

“Heard that?” He whispered, hearing attentively to the roar of the diesel engine far on the upper hill. “Let’s go and check it out!” He arose from his seat and offered her his hand.
 

She stared down to his palm, to the lines and some of the scars on it caused by doing rough works to get the money and food they needed. She gazed up to his dark green eyes - staring at her softly.

Placing her palm on his, she knew she would always be safe within his arms.

~ I will always love you, no matter what~


“Let’s go before the sun fully shines.”

They ran, far across to the upper hill. He slowed down to synchronize his pace with her. The fresh breeze stroked their faces. Laughing out loud, both were embracing the morning light while rejoicing for the excitement of their youths.

They stopped as they reached the top of the hill -- looking attentively at the cloud of smoke produced from the steam engine far away from them.  A blow of its horn completed the harmonically sound in the air. They could imagine the wheels making coordination and was going forward along the rail. Both were so amazed at hands and brains who had built and designed each screw and blocks of steel to make that perfect coordination.

“Do you think we could ever get into that train someday?” asked Rosaline.

“Maybe. The future is unpredictable, Rose. Who knows where we are going to? But I certainly wouldn’t choose a steam locomotive train to go to places."

Rosaline chuckled.

"It seems that you’re so eager to go, Val. Do you really want to leave this place?”

“I don’t know, Rose. I like it here.” He smiled.  He could hear breathing, soft and slow.

“I like this place too, Val. It is beautiful, but somehow... I feel that you're the one who will leave this place sooner than I will.”

Valentin turned her head to see her-- her eyes and her beautiful lashes. The beauty all around him... they...  could not be compared to hers.

"If that happens, promise me that you’ll not leave without a farewell or else, I'll wait for you on this hill ...  when the sun is setting. I'll wait for you, Val, until you come and say goodbye."

Valentin held her hands. "Now... Why would I leave you without a farewell? I think we should get back now. The cold wind has really affected on your brain." He said, messing up with her bangs. 

"You look cuter now."

He laughed out loud, running away. Rosaline followed him, catching behind. His and her skin glowed by the reflection of the morning light. Full of joy, they were still innocent like two little children.

“Got you!" Rosaline patted him on his shoulder. 

“Ha! I’m going to get you, Rose!”

“Catch me if you can, Val! You're so slow!” 

Catching up with his breaths, he ran after her. It would only took a few  paces to reach her.

"Wait, Rose." He quickened his pace.

"Aha!" He finally get a hold of her waist. Feeling her close, he  could smell the aroma of red grapes from her hair. She did smell very good. 

"Wait, Vaaaal!"

"Aaaaaah!"

There was a skunk ran across their way downhill. Rosaline lost her balance and Valentin wasn't on guard, either. They fell and rolled down on the ground.

Fortunately...  the skunk was okay.

***


"Do you know what that is?” Valentin said, pointing up to the cloud in the sky. Both were lying down on the grass. Rosaline’s eyes followed his index finger to the same cloud he was looking at.


“It’s a car! A brand new Porche I will be driving someday.” 


Rosaline chuckled. “And who you will be asked first to ride it with you?”

“Hmm...”  


He turned to her. A guy would ask a girl, but there’s no one he could think of, but her -- the girl next to him.

"Betty Boop."

“What?” Rosaline shouted -- almost spilled sideways as she was looking at him.

“Be careful, Rose!” Valentin wiped his face with his sleeves -- being so miserable, but  Rosaline seemed not to care about it.

“A cartoon character?”
 
“Hmm... she’s kinda hot.” He grinned, shrugging his shoulders.


"Still, can you even make a better answer than that?"

"Believe me, Rose, you don't wanna know the truth."

"Huh?"

"Hey, do you know who that cloud looks like?” He said, trying to divert her attention away from the topic.

“It’s Ms. Alice... when she snarled and pointed the ruler at us."

Both of them laughed.

“Stop joking, Val, or my stomach will hurt by laughing all day.”

"Okay..."

Then... her stomach growled. 

“Are you hungry?”

In school days, they used to get free lunch boxes. That day was a holiday, and he had not gone fishing at the night before-- was being so busy with Annabelle instead and then went to the graveyard to search for Rose. Meanwhile, Rose had harvested and sold of the fruits and vegetables in her garden to buy something – a gift for him.

“Wait here. I’m going to get us something.” He hurried off. 
From a distance, he could hear her calling out his name.
 
He ran toward the other side of the hill – to the big house with large garden and high fences.
“This is it. No one is around. Mr. Pivert is probably still asleep right now.”

"Perfect."



To be Continued to Part Two




17 comments:

Di Al Martini said...

This part happened after Ch. 5 So Close but Untouchable part one. Right after Val went to search for Rose in the graveyard.

Though, it's a back story, in later part it will be focus more on the present.

Sorry for long await. :)

And about the poll, I was quite surprised about the result - didn't think that Val would be the character you most love about- well at least some of you do. Pierre and Val also achieved almost the same percentage when it comes to being with Rose. Though, I must agree with Kaleeko. It would be more important with whom she would be more happy or whom she loves the most.

Someone also love Marie Louvre, Dave, and Lila. thanks. They all my sweethearts: every characters - even Annabelle, Mrs. Ivy or the crazy man. All have their backgrounds why they are becoming who they are now.

And yay for pose player! I haven't still used it in this update, but I know I will need it.

Unknown said...

Oooh noooo! This is definitely going to end poorly... Val, don't go sneaking onto other people's property! *facepalm*

In any case: WOW. I am simply amazed at how beautifully you're able to set up some of these screenshots. It makes me wish I could pick your brain and find out how...

But--I've never doubted how beautiful your simatography is. All the shots look magnificent.

Now, for the story: Awww. The romantic tension between Rose and Val is palpable, at this point. They both want it, but neither is ready or willing to make a move... You've done such a fantastic job describing their relationship through these scenes. The way they interact is very genuine.

But, all good things must come to an end, and of course, Val lost some braincells and is now climbing the Pivert's fence. *sigh* Oh, dear... I'm guessing this is what he goes to "jail" for, and that makes me want to thumb my head on my desk even more. Vaaalll!!

Great post, MJ. I always do my happy dance when I see there's an update from you! <3

Unknown said...

And yes: The Pose Player is AWESOME. I have a feeling it's going to completely change how I set up screenshots from now on... which could be a good or bad thing. It might make me more picky, now! ;)

<3!

Di Al Martini said...

XD Yeah, can't forget that he's a kleptomaniac from the very beginning of his teenage life.

Thank you for commenting, Kaleeko and thanks for the compliments >3

Was it so palpable? hmm....

I must admit, it's a rather slow update but everything will be revealed.

I hope it will be sooner.

Di Al Martini said...

Lol! Imagining you taking my brain out and wondering how... gives me the creep. Kidding! Yours are fantastic too!

Unknown said...

Tis true. :) I always forget he's a klepto--but he's very rarely showed that, so far... But I imagine that's going to change here shortly. ;)

I hope it'll be sooner, too, but don't push yourself. I'll be excited to read it whether it's tomorrow or three months from now. I'd just prefer sooner, hehe.

Hahahaha!! Oh my, that is a creepy visual, isn't it?! Aww.. Thank you, MJ. <3 I try, but I admit I don't really get anywhere unless I study screenshots from people who know what they're doing, like you. :D

Di Al Martini said...

You have a great talent in writing or taking shots or drawing, Kaleeko.

Don't worry, it wouldn't take three months for the next update. I have already had some of the pictures I need, but I will still need time to write it.

Yeah, he rarely stole something. The only thing he did in terms of stealing was stealing a lamp in Mr. Pivert's house, but he had returned it. So far, he only had the urge to steal. It's very complicated since Alex and Helen had taught him well.

Sara said...

Oh man... your screenshots are so gorgeous, MJ. I am definitely jealous. I really need to catch up on the rest of the posts, but for now I thought I'd pop in and say that ;)

PiB - Nicarra said...

It can be a long time between your updates MJ, but they are always worth the wait!

Poor Val, it looks like he will have to travel soon just to earn the money they need to stay in their home. It's obviously not going to be easy for him. He adores Rose so.

As everyone else commented, the screenshots are just stunning. You put a lot of work into posing, positioning and getting them just so. The effect is just magic.

I'm waiting to hear from people I trust if that new pose mod causes any other issues. I still only really trust Twallan's mods.

I'm a bit annoyed with google, the original post and first 4 comments didn't arrive in my inbox. :( Makes me wonder how often that happens.

Di Al Martini said...

Awww...PiB, thank you so much.

The pose player won't kill your game, but I'm not sure with the other packages you must install with it: the custom animation packages. So far, I've been installing more than 10 poses custom animation and my game is doing fine.

New custom animations keep showing up every day on sites making me really tired of it sometimes. I may only install what I need and delete the rest.

Di Al Martini said...

@Amelia. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

I may suggest that you read from Chapter 5: "Her questions" instead.

It will be far more quicker for you to catch up and there are already some back stories in Chapter 5.

Welcome to the party!

Di Al Martini said...

You can't believe how much I'm getting really annoyed of this, PiB. The dashboard won't show my newest update.

Di Al Martini said...

and it didn't happen once... many times.

Jen said...

MJ, I am so amazed! You always seem to achieve the most amazing shots. Maneuvering your sims so they are posed perfectly, how do you do it!

This was a lovely post. I really loved seeing these two cuddling on the bench and talking. Very sweet scenes. Well done! :)

Di Al Martini said...

Thank you, Jennifer. Sometimes I use debug enabler to make objects disappear.

I guess the maneuver was when Rose and Val bumped to each other on the bench. Well, on that scene Rose was getting up after taking a nap, while Valentin was relaxing on a bed.

KDSGS said...

First off MJ, stunning, emotional shots, I was blown away.

And the flashback/backstory was sweet and romantic, just how I like it.

Off to read the next part, very enjoyable MJ!

Di Al Martini said...

Thank you, Drew. It's very kind of you to say that.

I love romantic stories...so you will probably get more of that in this blog ;)

I'm glad that you enjoyed it ^^