February 17, 2010

Chapter One - Choices


Photobucket

Main Theme Song: Pills by The Perishers 

"It's time to try." He thought.
 
"Monsieur, do you need an employee? I can count quickly and I have a good grade in high school. I could use a cash register and may also do other things, such as mowing the lawn or tidying up the shelves. I'll do anything if I am accepted to work here."

Photobucket
The store owner observed him closely and figured that the young man in front of him was possibly about 18 years old,  tall, with blond sand hair, tan skin and soft-green eyes. At a glance, he appeared to be a polite young man with good manners. Probably he would do fine as a cashier.
Photobucket
"Okay, I do need help lately. You may start working here today as a cashier. What a coincidence! I've promised my son to watch his game. I'll be back at four this afternoon."
"Thank you, Monsieur. Thank you."
"What is your name, son?"
"Valentin,  Monsieur,  you can call me Val." 

Photobucket
Time passed by and it was 5 p.m. already. Valentin tried to do his best since he really needed the job to make a living for him and his little sister. The bills awaited them. Yet, somehow he could not take his eyes off  a Shower in a Can which were being displayed not very far from him.  The price of Shower in a Can wasn't very expensive -- it was a very cheap item on sale, in fact, and he didn't really need it. But why did he feel restless just by looking at it? 

"Is everything fine?"  Monsieur Gaston, the store owner stared at him when he arrived back.
Photobucket
"Y-you're back, Monsieur?How was the game? " 
"Not good.  His team got defeated." 
"Great.."  
"Great? Have you not mistaken? I said he lost the game."
"Pardon me, monsieur. I meant, it would be great  even  if he'd lost the game. You should be proud of him . I've never joined the football team at school myself, but I was the school mascot. One day, I was over excited cheering at my teammates, my trousers become saggy. All  the audiences were laughing and made the goalkeeper missed the ball. Our team won. Of course, I wore shorts that day, but since then, my team  called me Val, the Lucky Pants."
Photobucket
"Ha-ha-ha, you're quite funny, young man." Monsieur Gaston chuckled..  "Thank you for today. You may go home  now."
"Thank you, Monsieur.." 

***


Photobucket
Photobucket
"Whoaa!!"


Photobucket

"Rose, what are you doing here? Staring at walls instead of doing your homework?"
 "I will do them later. Your fans lady just called. She said she wanted to talk to you." 
Photobucket
" What? My fans lady?"
"Yeah, the blond one."
"Blond? Madeline?" 
Photobucket
"Bonjour Madeline." Valentin pressed the phone against his ear, but  still he could hear the door being slammed behind him.
"I'm leaving. I will be back at 6." 
"Wait... don't you have to do your homework first  ? Rose? Rosaline White? Eh, sorry Madeline,  I must be leaving now. I will call you back later. Bye."
Photobucket


It was February 14th, the Anniversary day of their parent's death. The cemetery was quiet as usual and it was a perfect place for her to be alone.

She must leave the cemetery soon before her brother came and see her, but tears were flowing on her cheek.

Photobucket
Photobucket
More tears were flowing on her cheek.
Photobucket
"Je m'ennuie de vous deux. I wish you're still here."

Photobucket
 "Whooaa!!!"
"Val! You scared me, and for the second time!"
Photobucket
"Ha-haha, I couldn't help it. Why are you out here by yourself? Don't you  afraid of ghosts?  Were you crying again, Rose? "

"No. I wasn't." 

Valentin knew best.  From the trace of tears on her cheek, he knew Rosaline has been crying. He made funny faces just to make her smile again.
Photobucket
From all the wishes in the world,  he wished nothing more than to see her happy. If possible, he would erase her pain and traumas for losing their parents.
Photobucket

The incident happened in a beautiful sea. Things were suddenly changed. Their parents' bodies were found a few days later on a shore. She survived while he suffered from a concussion because his head was struck by a piece of wood from the overturned boat. They were rescued by a local fisherman. Since then, Rosaline hated the sea.
Photobucket
"Aren't you supposed to chat with Madeline your girlfriend?" 
"Girlfriend? She's not my girlfriend." 
"Really? she seems so fond of you."
"I didn't figure out you care so much about her feelings, Rose."
"I don't care, really, and  you should find a date, Val. Maybe then  you will stop bugging me the entire time."
"I am  bugging you ?"
"Yeah, I'm a girl.  I need my privacy.  I'm not a child.  I'm perfectly able to take care of myself now."
"You sure?" 
"Bien sur "
Photobucket
The truth was she didn't want to be far away from him. He was the only closest family she had. She could not imagine living the days  without him. Still, she realized that eventually they would go on their separate ways.. sooner or later.

The next day, Valentin went to work again. Few buyers came into the store. During that day, an elegant woman, with a purple hat and elegant dress, came into the store.
Photobucket
"What are you looking for, Madame?"
"Young man," said the woman with a graceful tone. "I'm quite impressed that you can speak English very well." 
"Thank you, Madame. My father was an American."
"Really? I'm an American citizen too. What was your father's name?" 
"Alexander, Alexander White. He died a few years ago." 
"Oh, sorry to hear that. I'm sure your father was a handsome man for having such a handsome son." 
"Thank you , Madame. Is there anything you are looking for?" 
The woman spread her gaze across the room.  "I'm looking for an antique vase." 
Valentin guided her through the store. They talked and occasionally laughed at Valentin's friendly joke.
Photobucket
Photobucket
When the woman finally found the vas, she said "Young man, thank you for your time. You're really funny and and adorable. I could use your company. Come to my room No. 201, Hôtel Fleur éternelle at 7 p.m. My name is Ivy. You can call me at this number." The woman slid a name card into his pocket. "What is your name?" She said.
"Valentin, Madam." 
"Valentin?  Beautiful!" 
Photobucket
Valentin  was in shock hearing her, but quickly he banished his thoughts and then returned to the cash register.
Photobucket
At 5 p.m,. Valentin had finished his work and was on his  way home, but in a park he saw a young woman sitting on a wooden bench.
Photobucket
"Handsome, why are you leaving? Am I that invisible to you?" The young woman rose from her bench and halted him.
 "Madeline. What are you doing here?"
Photobucket
"Waiting... waiting for you. What else do you think? Why don't you take me to the Nectary tomorrow? We can make nectar together." 
Photobucket
"I see you haven't found someone else to be your guide, Mademoiselle?"
"Actually,  I haven't found any other good looking guides who can speak English very well like you, Monsieur. Those guides only wanted to get my phone number -- asking me out, sending me flowers, and chocolates. One of them even sent me a poem which I found wasn't romantic at all. They seemed not to give up on me -- even though how many times I've tried to repel them. and-- are you listening to me?"
Photobucket
Madeline admonished upon seeing him yawning. 
Photobucket
"Sorry, Madeline. I'm quite tired today. Excuse me. We'll see each other again, Okay?"

Madeline  stood in an awe seeing him leaving. 
Photobucket
"I saw that you were talking to Madeline this afternoon, Val."  Rosaline spoke to him in a calm manner when they were sitting in front of a restaurant that night.
" Thankfully, I  had a chance to escape her."
Rosaline chuckled.
"Why haven't you ordered , Rose?" said Valentin.
"I'm not  hungry. besides I've just eat a bread."  Rosaline shrugged. It seemed all foods felt plain for her.
"A bread wouldn't do, Rose. Look at you. You're making me worried." Valentin grabbed her wrist, showing  her how thin her arm was.
."Alright." Rosaline smiled. " I'll have something."

That night was a celebration for Valentin's new job, but then he remembered about his appointment with Mrs. Ivy, the Lady with a purple hat.
"Rose, I'll be out tonight, but don't wait for me,  I'll bring the house key."
"Where?" 
"Not very far. I'll be there for only a business." 
"Business? What kind of business, Val?"
"Only a small kind. Anyway, you  need not to be worried. I'll be home before twelve."
"But... should you go out late at night? Can it  wait tomorrow morning? What if you got sick, Val?"
Valentin chuckled. "I won't. I won't be. I'm strong, see?." Valentin leaned over while showing off his biceps muscle which was actually less muscular than what he'd originally thought. "Besides, we need the money now."
"It's true. But don't  you remember what mom said? Despite how much we need the money, we shouldn't push ourselves and do things that we don't really want. She said that by praying and working with our best effort and deep passion,  the money will come to us." 
 "I know. I remember it.  You must have really missed her."  Valentin rose  and then kissed her on her forehead.
Rosaline bowed. Her eyes were wet..
"I miss her too. Don't worry. I know what I'm doing." 
Rosaline  wiped her tears off her face. "Be careful."
Photobucket
 Valentin left her at the restaurant at six thirty, driving his old scooter, an inheritance from his late father. His heart drummed faster, especially after he'd heard every words Rosaline had said to him. Perhaps it wasn't right after all, but maybe Mrs. Ivy only wanted to hear some of his friendly jokes? Maybe she's a woman staying away from home and was traveling in a country which was very foreign for her? Maybe she only needed a companionship for a nice conversation? But even if the worst thing  happened, he would get the money to pay the bills. No one would get hurt. Rosaline would be okay.
Photobucket
Valentin arrived promptly at 7 p.m. The hotel receptionist greeted him with a strange smile. "You must be Mrs. Ivy's guest. She's in her room now." 

Valentin walked down the narrow hall until he'd finally arrived in room number 201. Feeling hesitated, he walked away, bu it only  took a few second for him to go back  and, eventually, pounded  his fist on the door.  

"Mrs. Ivy? It's me...Valentin."

"Valentin? Come in.  The door is not being locked."
Photobucket
Valentin halted at the sight of  Mrs. Ivy wearing a transparent night gown. She was lying on a bed,  smiling at him. 

Quickly, he lowered his gaze to the floor.
Photobucket
"You're finally here." Mrs. Ivy smiled, rose up from her bed. A touch on his chin allured him to gaze back at her.

Valentin cleared his throat.  ""Of course, Madame. "I have a game for you. Could you guess the name of the actor whom I'm about to demonstrate?" 

Valentin lifted his left hand, styling like a famous person while he was using his hat.

"I know. He's Charlie Chaplin. " Mrs. Ivy chuckled. After pulling herself back together, she gazed at his green eyes and then whispered.  "I do know,  though,  you can make this woman feels better ."

Mrs. Ivy circled her right arm around his neck. The fingers of her left arm played around his shoulder.

"Madame, I-."

Mrs. Ivy pasted her forefinger on his lips as soon as she knew he intended to leave.

"Don't worry, you will get a decent return and a pleasant first experience. No one will know except you and me. We can keep it as a secret.." Mrs. Ivy embraced him, whispering at his ears. " I've asked the room service to prepare warm water for you.  Make yourself feel comfortable."
Photobucket

Standing under the hot water in a bare skin,  Valentin's mind were racing. All he could picture was Rosaline smiling and how devastated she would be if she saw like him this. 
Photobucket
"Madame, your dinner is ready. Is there anything else you may need?" A red-haired girl entered Mrs. Ivy's room.  
"Yes, I will eat in my room tonight. Prepare two plates of Bouillabasse and bring them here."
"Two, Madame? Is your husband coming?" 
"No ... and it's none of your business with whom I'm tonight."
"I'm sorry, madame.  I'll prepare them for you." 

After the girl returned with the food, and left the room again, Valentin finally came out of the bathroom. 
"Valentin, what took you so long? What are you doing there? Come, Come over here!" 
Photobucket
Valentin stood in a silence. He might have done bad things in his life, but he had never done anything like this before.  

"Madame, I cannot do this."

"Why?"

" I should be leaving now."

" Wait, if it's about money, don't worry, I'll give you -"

"No. You don't have to."
"What? Don't you pretend that you don't need the money.  It's obvious that you are in need of it."

"Madame, even if you pay me very expensive, I will not do it. I'm not here for this."

Valentin's last answer made it very clear to her. "You've wasted my time, hypocrite! Don't say you don't need the money. People like you, all you ever care is money. "
"Madame,  not all people are like what you think. I feel very sorry for you and your husband."
Photobucket
Mrs. Ivy's  anger raged upon hearing it. "Don't talk about him! You don't know who my husband is. Get out! Get out of here!" 
Photobucket
Valentin banged the door behind him and then put his short on. On the same alley, a girl was walking toward him.

"Val? What are you doing here? Are you Mrs. Ivy's guest?"
Photobucket
"No. Mrs. Ivy?" Valentin scratched his head. "I don't know her. I came into the wrong room and the wrong hotel. I thought I had to meet my boss here." 
Photobucket
"And you? What are you doing here, Rose?"
Photobucket
Rosaline patted her temple. " Oh, I wanted to tell you, but I forgot. Do you remember that I applied here  for a job as a room service? Well, I've finally got the answer. They accepted me to work here.  I will be working from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m." 
Photobucket
"That's great."

"Yeah... and oh,  I didn't figure out that a hotel waitress job is that difficult. You should always be friendly to the all the guests even though you're  tired. Even though they are being rude, you have to keep smiling at them ."

Valentin smiled and took a relieve breath. It seemed Rose had not known anything about what had happened in Mrs. Ivy's room

"Let's go home." Valentin grabbed Rosaline's arm. 

"Wait! Don't you have an appointment with your boss?" 
"My boss has just cancelled it." 
Photobucket
Walking outside, Valentin gazed at her back.
Photobucket
He could not imagine what could have happened if Rosaline had found him in different situation. He knew he would become someone he would have hated, if he had made the decision to stay in Mrs. Ivy's room.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hi MJ, I've been waiting to read this for a while now and finally I can make a start.

This was a wonderful start, very intriguing!

How awkward for Val to be caught in outside of Mrs Ivy's room. lol

Rosaline is very sweet. These two have had such tragedy early on in life, I wonder how this will affect them.

On to the next chapter...:)