March 16, 2010

Chapter Three - La prière (Prayer)

Photobucket



Theme Song: "I'll be Your Love" by Nicole Scherzinger
Photobucket
It was a beautiful day on the weekend. Dad, Mom, Rose and I were having a picnic near the waterfall. Mom cooked us some hot dogs. I still remember how delicious her cooking was. Rose was six while I was going eight. Dad rushed to take us to a lake. He said that it would have been better if we have gone before 6 am because the air was still fresh.
Photobucket 
Dad and I took our chance at some bait. My Dad worked as a Scientist. He taught me about nature and science, and how we as human must appreciate nature. My Dad wanted me to become a scientist just like him. I didn't know if I could be like him, but I promised to my dad that I would study harder. I'm really proud of him. I miss him and I miss my mom too.

Photobucket 
She and Rose were so much closer than she was with me. They liked to gossip and shared about things that my dad and I didn't know, probably about woman matters.
Photobucket 
My dad and I often talked about guy's things too.

He  taught me to learn everything about nature. "Play and learn" that was he taught me about. He and  I loved to collect unique fruits, leaves and then my dad would examine them for me.
Photobucket 
Rose loved to  fish - as well as I was, but I never expected that she was smarter. She had caught a big fish while I had only caught a small minnow.
Photobucket 
"Don't underestimate on small catches! Little ones are a part of an important thing." My dad said to me. "Rosaline, do you want to stay with us  until seven tonight?" 
My dad had prepared a camp near the lake. We planned to catch fish until seven and would have a grilled fish for dinner.
Photobucket 
"Dad!!" My patience finally brought a result.  I caught a big fish and made my dad feel so proud of me.

Photobucket 
It wasn't the only memory I have about them, but I  still remember it clearly. Rose still remembers about it too


Year 2006:
I can't believe that they both have gone. It seems they are still here, at least in our hearts.

Photobucket 
We had just returned from the funeral when Rose cried on my shoulder.
Photobucket 
I wished that day was only a dream, an unwanted dream -- a nightmare.
Photobucket 
I tried to comfort Rose, but I knew that none of my words could heal the pain
Photobucket
Photobucket 
for her…
Photobucket 
and for me.
Photobucket

 I hurried upstairs to check on Rose.
Photobucket 
The doctor told me that she suffered a trauma because of the accident.
Photobucket 
She gazed at the family picture on the wall. She asked me to leave her room. She needed some time to be alone.

I left her there, but then checked up on her again.
Photobucket 
I saw her lying on the bed -- tears fell down from her eyes.
Photobucket 
"Mom, dad, I don't know if I can do this. Can I look after her like you both did? I still need both of you too."
Photobucket 
"Val, are you there?" Rosaline turned her head slightly. "Would you please read Mom's book for me? The one that she wrote for us."
Photobucket 
Before I could finish reading the story for her, she had already fell asleep. I watched her sleeping with her face full of sorrow. I promised to myself that I would take care of her and make her happy, just like mom and dad might have wished. 
Photobucket
Photobucket 
Later in the afternoon, Rose came out of her room. I asked her to play catch so she would breathe fresh air and have sunlight to shine on her pale skin.
Photobucket 
I used to play catch with my dad. I  still remember his laughter when we both played until mom called us for lunch.
Photobucket 
I didn't know how long I've been standing like that, but Rose suddenly stood  in front of me.
Photobucket 
No. I must not cry. Why did she look at me that way?
Photobucket 
I could not hold it. I cried on her shoulder.
Photobucket
Photobucket 
We both cried together.
Photobucket 
 We both knew that we  must adapt with the new situation soon.
Photobucket
Photobucket 
Still, it felt strange to see two seats in front of us were empty. 
And the thing worried me the most was about Rose. She looked so pale.

Photobucket 


 .
Photobucket 
One night, I couldn't find her in the house. I searched around the village, but could not find her everywhere. Later,  I found her sleeping on a bench in a park.
Photobucket 
"Are you okay? You can talk to me about anything." I asked her  when she had just awaken. We were sitting on a bench, gazing at the crescent moon up in the sky.
Rose did not answer. She tighten her lips, not until she asked me: "Do you think they are fine up there?"
I looked at the sky she was looking at. I didn't know the answer to her question. All I could say was  "Probably they are, Rose."
Photobucket 
In the morning when I was still sleeping, I heard noises in the kitchen. I woke up and found that Rose was busy preparing for breakfast. She had been trying really hard to learn Mom's recipes.
Photobucket
Photobucket 
But, the breakfast got burned,
Photobucket
and left her feeling disappointed.
Photobucket 
We ate it nevertheless. We should not waste any food in this house.
Photobucket 
I tried to cheer her up by making silly faces. That's the only thing I could do for her.
Photobucket 
Mom and dad left us  savings. Still, we could not rely on it forever, so I gave my first shot at a bookstore.
Photobucket 

The owner wasn't being friendly  and she even called a guard because she had a suspicion about me.  I left the bookstore before the guard approached.
Photobucket 
I didn't do anything. All I did was looking at a horse ornaments made from plastic in the bookshelves.  However,  I didn't know why I have this eager to grab it. It would only take a second to take it. The blood flowed harder in my veins. No one was looking --  I could do it easily. I tapped my feet and clenched my fist, trying to restrain my hands from taking the horse ornament. I'm glad I didn't take it in the end.
Photobucket 
Meanwhile, Rose tried her luck in a restaurant.  Actually, I didn't want her to find a job, still she insisted.
Photobucket 
But she didn't succeed on it too.
Photobucket 
Both of us have no luck that day. I wanted to get a part-time job, but where else?
Photobucket 

Nevertheless, I should  keep on looking.
Photobucket 
In the park, Rose passionately told me about her next plan to find a job. She told me that there must be a place that would accept us to work. Seeing her so excited like that made my heart fell weary, feeling incapable of looking after her. She should have concentrated on her studies while I was the one who should find a job.
Photobucket 
"What's wrong?" With trembling hands, she lifted my shoulders.  I hardly stared back at her glowing eyes.
Photobucket 
"I don't know. I'm not sure."
Photobucket 
"Val, we can make this out. I believe and you must believe on it too."
 Photobucket 
"We'll go through this together. Everything will be fine."
Photobucket 
Those days, I thought she was the fragile one. That night,  I realized that I was wrong. I knew days ahead would be harder, but she made me believe that I could go through this. We will go through this together. I still have her beside me.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket 
"Mom and dad, Rosaline and I will be okay. We will always pray for both of you.  Nous allons toujours prier pour vous deux."

To Be Continued... 
 

4 comments:

Dee said...

Oh my, I don't think I even blink when I read this. It's so sad and yet there is so much hope for the future.
I love that large family picture on the wall.

They will survive. I have a feeling Valentin is a kleptomaniac. Am I right?

Di Al Martini said...

Thank you Dee. Glad you like it. Yes, Valentin is a kleptomaniac. He hasn't realized it yet. I learnt from Wikipedia that it can be caused by traumatic brain injury. It can also manifest during puberty :). For Valentin it happened when they got the accident.

Dee said...

I thought I commented earlier. Guess I didn't.
I'll keep watching to see what happens with these two. I hope that someday they will recover from their sadness and be happy.

Jen said...

This was a very emotional chapter, well done.

It's such a tragedy, children should never outlive their parents. At least they are not alone, they have each other. And they can comfort and support each other through this.

Wonderful shots to MJ. ;)