August 8, 2010

The Falling Angel of Fire Part 3

Photobucket

firefighters

After several weeks of waiting,  the City Council responded to the issue. It had been quite heavily exposed in news headlines, attracted the mass power from the community and a group of advocating organization interested in Human Rights. Those voices urged men and women in City Hall to retreat and settle together on a round table discussion to discuss the rights of these firefighter women.


Lila's effort had brought a light, not so bright  apparently because the issue had been revolving for many years and actually it wasn't the first case. All the statistic data and facts concluded about only four percent of the firefighters in the nation were female. Most of them demanded to be given the same opportunities in their career advancement and some of them felt being treated differently at work.

The issue was a sensitive case. People debated had their own arguments. Some supported these women, some did not and they had their own reason. Comments on the issue published in the Internet saying:  

"We have lowered the department standards for these women, so they could pass the exam and physical tests. Are we going to lower it again?"
"I'm not sure if I can trust someone smaller than me to lift my heavy weight."
"Women could do the job. Their smaller size has its own advantages for firefighting. It's modern time, some of them could even be stronger than men."


Those reasons and not to mention the budget issue became heavy considerations for everyone seated in City Hall.  They tried to formulate a new policy that would ensure the compliance of rights for these firefighters women.

Meanwhile, the main issue for Dave and Lila  had not been solved yet. With the new marriage policy, one of them still had to leave their job in the department. They could not work within the same department. If one of them must leave, the department might consider it to be Lila, but  Dave had another mind of his own.

"I've decided it, Tim. I'm going to leave this department and apply for a job at the Fire Department in Sunset Valley. That way Lila will still be able to work here."  
"But Dave, are you sure? It won't be easy to achieve the same position you have already reached now."
"I know but, to be a firefighter is everything that Lila wanted. If she has to start in another city, she will have to start from the beginning. I could not let her do that for me."

Dave was so sure about it. He was willing to give up his position so that Lila would still be able to work in the department. He thought that it would become the best solution, even though he would have to travel out of town every day.  

"Have you talked about this to Lila?" asked Tim.
Dave said nothing. He had not told her since she might not let him do that for her. 
"You have to tell her before you decide anything, Dave."
"I know, Tim. I will." 

firefighter

Meanwhile, at the airport
firefighter
Photobucket
"Lila, honey, we'll see how this small town of Twinbrook has to offer you."
firefighters

Photobucket
In the morning, Dave was a bit late for work. He rode his bike to go to the fire station. Lila insisted on only having a bike, unless they must use another vehicle in urgent situations. "It's for the environment and our grandchildren's sake." Lila said. Dave did not mind about it. He had already been getting used to Lila's lifestyle.

Usually, Dave and Lila went out to work together, but  that day he went alone. After the new policy had been released,  they were assigned in different shifts.
Photobucket
On his way to the fire station, he thought thoroughly about their situation at work. Dave determined to tell the Chief about his resignation, but he had not told Lila about it.

"Are you sure, Dave? I'm going to give you  time to think about it."
"It's okay, Chief. I put my mind on it."

 Photobucket
He was determined about his decision. Even though, he had not given the Chief the final answer.

He knew that becoming a firefighter was a dream for Lila. It was a call for both of them, something that ran through their blood. The adrenaline rush through their veins, the team work, and most of all, saving a person  from death were some of the reasons they fell in love with their job. It was their world. It was something that they might regret if they didn't try to fight for it. He didn't want her to have a regret in her life. Instead, he wanted to see the light in her eyes every time she left for work or when she recounted her experience of saving someone in the scene. Distance between Twinbrook and Sunset Valley would not be that far if he took the train. "It all will be worth." he thought.
Photobucket

Photobucket

"Dave!" Lila suddenly bursted into the office when Tim and Dave were discussing their work. Her forehead filled with sweat.

"It's my mom! She's here... in Twinbrook. She's- she's always like this. When I needed her, she's not there. But, she always comes un..."

"Relax!" Dave tried to calm her after seeing her pale face and after a moment of surprise. "So your mom is coming. That should not be a problem. Isn't that what you always wanted?"
Photobucket
"No, you don't understand. You don't know her."

Her mother would find out in any moment about the news that she must leave her job as a firefighter.

"She's going to say that she's right. She will try to prove that I am wrong...She's..."

Photobucket
"She's your mom. What would she do about it?" Dave pat her on her shoulder. Lila had always been a strong woman, but he knew that she needed him. What his wife needed just a little encouragement.
 Photobucket

"You have made the right choices. You just have to prove it to her. And if you didn't succeed on  making her realize it, what matters the most is that you know you have made the right choices, and I'm so proud of you, babe. Even Tim knows about it too. Right, Tim?"

"Huh?.. of course!" answered Tim briefly. Dave shrugged and turned to Lila again, Apparently, Tim  was being occupied with the computer in front of him.

Lila felt a bit calm after hearing Dave's words. Her face turned into its original color. She believed she had made the right choices in her life: to become a firefighter and most of all for marrying the man in front of her.
Photobucket
"Thank you, my love!" She kissed him in a shy kind of way, like she often did.  His cheek  blushed, even though he is a man. That moment, she did not even care about Tim being there. Tim was still busy with the computer that he did not realize about the romantic atmosphere surrounded him in the office room.

Photobucket
After a minute or two, when she opened her eyes, she could see him closing his.  Apparently, he was still mesmerized by it, by that soft and shy kiss on his lips. It was a quick kiss, but it left a deep feeling in his heart, it felt like the same like the kiss she had given him for the first time: their first kiss.
Photobucket
And when he opened his eyes, he could see her  smiling. There was no other beautiful view which could be compared to the view in front of him and nothing else worth more  than that moment, not even a diamond.
Photobucket
"You still owe me for that. One kiss wouldn't be enough. How about a plate of cheese steak?" asked Dave.
 Photobucket
"Dave." Lila rolled her eyeballs. "I'm going to make you more than just one plate if you want them so badly."
"Yes, I would love too. Your cooking always tastes so good on my tongue. Maybe because we are a match made in heaven or... a long lost soul mates that had been reunited."
Photobucket
"Oh, Dave..." She whispered softly. Lila could not find a word to say. He often made her speechless that way.

"Wait a minute! What time is this?" She looked at the clock on the wall, and her face turned panic in a second. "Oh,  no! She's waiting for us to pick her up  in the airport in one hour.  I'm still on my shift. Dave, would you..."

"I know, I am going to pick her up."
"Thank you, my love!" Lila kissed him again.

Dave went home in a rush. He made it in a second to change his clothes. Thirty minutes left. He would arrive at the bus station within fifteen minutes. However, before he could reach the front door, a woman dressed in a formal suit, came into their living room without even being invited.

Photobucket
"Are you Dave? Why didn't you come earlier? Do you know how valuable thirty minutes is?! Aren't you a firefighter? You should know about that!"
Dave soon realized who the woman was. Undoubtedly, she's Lila's mother, Katharina. She was exactly like Lila had described, but seemed a bit more rude than what she told him.

"I'm sorry, I thought you haven't arrived. How did you find our house?"
"I asked. I have a mouth! And what is a taxi driver for? Where's Lila?" She asked in open-eyed before she looked around  to find her daughter. Her wrinkles became visible than average women at her age. It must have been because she's angry... a lot.
"She's still in the..."
firefighter
"What kind of place is this?" She raised her voice.
"Do you call this place a house?! I can't believe you let my daughter stay here!"
firefighter
firefighter
Those words strike and brought him down, but Dave tried to remain polite.

"You must be tired, mom, do you want something to drink? A coffee?"
"What is this? I can't believe it! You- you only have one bed?"
"I'm... I'm sorry, we didn't know that you would be coming here or else, we might have prepared it for you. Don't worry, you and Lila can sleep on the bed, while I will sleep on the couch."

"What?"Katharina looked surprise.

"I know, it's still in a mess. We might win the award on this field since... your daughter and I love to make a mess around here." He laughed, trying  to make a joke out of it and to take it easy, but certainly Lila's mother did not want to hear a single about it and it was a dry joke anyway. "Eh... as I've said you can sleep on the couch... eh bed."
"No, I'd rather stay in a hotel."
"Why?  I mean.... the bed is comfy and Lila will cook a dinner for us. She's very good at cooking now."
firefighter
 "I'm leaving. I will come here again tomorrow."
Katharina walked out of the door, leaving Dave standing dumbfounded.
Photobucket
O.o ...  Lila  definitely  would not be pleased to hear  about it.

firefighter
At the office, Lila received a letter. She could not believe that a single letter would determine her future at the department. Together with Tim, Manne, and Dave, she had questioned the new policy to the Chief. It would be so unfair if the new policy applied retroactively to marriages within the year. They did not know about it before, and they also questioned about the effectiveness of the policy. They should have been allowed to keep their job if they had already re-assigned in different shifts. It seemed this letter was going to answer her questions. She took it from her desk immediately.
***

"Lila," said Dave on the phone. "I'm sorry.. Your mother just left."
"It's okay, Dave. She's always like that. There- there's something I want to talk to you."
"What is it?" But the fire alarm rang.
"I'm sorry, Dave. I have to go now. I will talk to you later."
Photobucket

Lila thought that maybe she should talk  about it first before giving him the news.

 firefighters

The next morning, Lila had a day off.  She agreed to meet her mother out on the town. She had prepared for the meeting, but when she saw her, her face drained in an instance. Her mother seemed a bit thinner than the last time she saw her, and she seemed older than her age.

Photobucket

"Mother, are you in a good health? You look.. thinner." Lila looked at her with concerns and it made her mother realize that her daughter had not changed a bit. Lila often concerned mostly about her health, considering her lifestyle and her habit to work until late at night.

"Mother, you don't have to work hard now. You have everything. What else do you want now?"
"Actually, I still have something that I wanted. I just hope it is not too late."
"Nothing is really too late, mother, if you really want  and really try for it."
firefighter
Mrs. Katharina  stunned hearing  those words coming out of her daughter's mouth.
 firefighter
Maybe it wasn't too late after all.

Maybe... there's always be a second chance.

 To be Continued

12 comments:

Dee said...

Oh my, that is one hateful woman. Makes me wonder if she is more concerned about her daughters home or what others may think. Such a snob! As if they didn't already have enough to worry about, mom pops in unannounced and then has to be a witch on top of that.
I am so afraid she is going to want Lila to leave and go back with her.
*laughing* She reminds me of someone I once knew.

The screenshots are just beautiful. My Twinbrook never seems to be that sunny.

Anonymous said...

I'd stay in a hotel, too. *laugh* Especially if it was a really nice one with a lovely spa tub and a great big bed.

Great reaction shot of Dave being dumbfounded. You really caught his expression.

Your Twinbrook does look sunny and bright.

It will interesting to see who keeps their job and who leaves. Maybe they'll both leave. Or both stay!

Nice update, M.J.!

Unknown said...

Ooooh. So many mysteries left hanging! Can't wait until next post.

Lila's mother is... a piece of work. I can't wait to see why she's here, though. Poor Dave, they may not have much of a house, but it's their home!

He may not have been able to give her a lot of money, but he's an amazingly supportive husband. Hopefully her mom is able to see that, at least.

Great post, MJ. As always, your shots are lovely, and your writing as well!

PiB - Nicarra said...

Oh man, poor Dave, talk about an encounter with the mother-in-law from hell. Nothing would be nearly good enough for her. Ever.

Great pics, you've captured more tender moments between Dave and Lila.

Now let's see. Dave is going to work in Sunset Valley instead of making Lila quit but he didn't tell her yet. Lila got an envelope but she hasn't told Dave yet. They have some talking to do, if they can survive Katharina.

Di Al Martini said...

Thank you for all the comments ^_^

Sorry, still make you hanging on this. I wanted to make it longer than this one and not to leave it hanging, but if I did, I would not be sure if you could open the post quickly because of the numbers of the pics and you would have to do a long scrolling down. I will let you wonder about Katharina's traits until the next post. It would not be exciting, if I told you now. It seems, for the next post, I have to publish part 4. (Please be patient with Valentin's story. By the way, I lost some of their custom contents. Duh!) I hope I will publish part 4 in a very near time and I hope the hanging part will be solved there.

@ Dee I wonder who is her/him? :D
Sometimes Twinbrook can be so bright and sunny, sometimes not. Ugh, if you could only see some of my pics. I am not sure what I did to the pics make it more sunny and bright. I did add a little brightness and also sharpness, but just like I did to any other pics as usual.

@Chrysame. I would too, if I was her :D

@Kaleeko. Talking about mysteries, I love them! But, this one is full of drama, not so dramatic though! And without many problems.

@PiB That's the first thing she did when she arrived in the front door. It was autonomously. Lol, even Dave jokes could not stop her from being so irritating. You will get to know her at the next update.
:D Ooh, I am writing her and making her looks like a monster who is going to eat them alive.

Di Al Martini said...

I should have written the last line of my comment in reply to PiB in the past tense, Lol!

Dee said...

Knowing she is going to be back in the next update really has me curious. I'm not even going to make guesses because they would probably be wrong.

Oh what the heck. My guess is Mom is going to die soon and is giving her house to Lila but there will probably be a condition that Lila won't like. No need to reply to that :) I don't want to ruin any surprises. I'm probably wrong anyway.

Di Al Martini said...

:) I'm writing the update, Dee. Like I've said I wished I have finished it in this part. Your guesses probably right at some part. Behind her attitudes, she is still a mother who would give anything for her child.

Di Al Martini said...

By the way, thank you so much, Dee. I've just read my e-mail. Very sweet words too. You are a very nice and sweet person, Dee :)

Dee said...

Welcome M.J. LOL, when I tell my husband someone said I was sweet he always laughs and says they don't know me too well. :)

Yep, she loves her daughter but just doesn't know how to show it.

Di Al Martini said...

Someone answered that he/she likes the part about Lila's past. I'm glad. I almost wondered if I could not write other than sad stories ^_^. Thank you.

Seaweedy said...

From Seaweedy,
He showed enormous patience with this very unpleasant mother-in-law.