August 1, 2010

The Falling Angel of Fire Part 2

***
"As much as I regret to say this, but according to the new policy, one of you must leave this department before January  the 1st."
"We could not possibly let you go, Dave. I think she will be okay with it. She is a married woman and going to have kids. She will be safer if she doesn't have to deal with fire."

 ***
Inevitably and annoying, those words followed along her steps. It kept coming back inevitably no matter how hard she tried not to think about it.

firefighter


Her watch pointed at 5 p.m., and she decided to go for a jog. Maybe, adrenaline rush would make her forget all those words.

"Just another miles to complete." She said to herself. The brisk five-minute walk was enough for a warm up. By then, her heart rate had already increased and oxygen in her blood had been traveling with greater speed. It was enough to prepare her muscles for the long running.

firefighter

"I can do this." She speed up after a quarter of miles.

Instead of running three miles in thirty minutes, she wanted to make it faster than quarter hours. She believed she could do it without getting injured like she often did on the scene. Professionally and not minding her own nature as a woman, she had run into the blazing fire like those men did. Each day, she had prepared for the worst and trained herself to be able to pull the heaviest hose. If she were asked, she would be willing to lift 180 pounds of a ladder by herself.

She had driven the truck, pulled the hose, run into the burning house and assisted people out of there. She was trained and skillful. Her exam result  reached the highest score among all the firefighter candidates. She tried harder and twice than others. But apparently, no matter how hard she tried, it would not be enough,  simply because of the fact that she's a woman.

She wondered whether they knew that in spite all her efforts, she did not intend to compete with those men she worked with. She was only trying to do her job as a firefighter would. She never thought of competing with them and of course not with her own husband, but it seemed the duty she loved refused to take a side on her and was drifting away.


***

"Tim, Lila and I are outside the policy boundaries. The policy was published last week. We were married three weeks earlier and what about you guys?"
 Photobucket
"Dave, the policy was made retroactively for the married couple this year. Manne and I are outside the policy boundaries, and we are trainers. We are not getting involved on the scene, unless needed."
"I could not believe it. After what she's been giving to the department and  the community, they are just going to dump her?" 
"The department will not dump her. The City Council will give her opportunities to work in city jobs, and she will still be able to keep her retirement benefits. If she insist on being a firefighter, she must get the employment outside the city."
"That means she had to start it all over."
"Yes... unfortunately." Tim expressed his sympathy.
Photobucket
"Wait a minute. How if  they are assigned in different shifts or at different stations?" asked Manne.
"It won't work. The new policy stated that two members of an immediate family should not be employed within the same department at the same time unless one does not directly or indirectly supervise, assign work or lead the other. Dave is a Captain now, even though they work in different shifts or stations there will be suspicion about nepotism. I'm not saying that I agree on these opinions, Dave. I also don't  want one of you to leave this department, but this is beyond our control." said Tim.
"If that's so, instead of her, I will be the one who will leave this department. Why it has to be her? She has an excellent job records. She only got her promotion longer because of  lesser opportunities."
"I understand, Dave, but, the department considered it differently. She probably wants to raise her children, and sooner or later her attentions will be divided between her duties at home and work. While you, Dave, you are the head of the family, and they know that you will keep your focus on your job."
" Hey, Tim, don't forget that I'm a woman, and I stay focused on my job." said Manne.
"I know, dear. I'm just saying what the department might be thinking."
"Well, instead of talking about it. Let's think about what we can do for them. Dave, don't worry, it will be one more month until one of you must  leave this department. Since it's a new policy, we will try everything we can do to talk to the City Council."
"Thanks, Manne, I really appreciate it. We are going to attend the meeting if held. I'm just so disappointed at the department. At least they could give us  the same opportunity and choices instead of thinking how she will be able to perform her duties."

***
firefighter
She knew everything they had talked behind her. They had not known it yet, but, she had heard it all.

By that time, she had run for two miles,  but she hadn't felt tired, not when her mind filled with those thoughts about her future.

When she came to the fire station, she didn't ask for luxury and to be treated differently. She wanted nothing more than to make herself  feel useful for the community. Before all these, in spite of the luxury she had, she was lonely. All that she ever did was for herself. The sound of sirens and men in uniform assisting a grandmother and a child to leave a burning house was a wake up call for her. She wanted to do something for others, and after she had joined the department, she became more and more in love with her job.
firefighter

firefighter
firefighter 
firefighter
She lifted her body higher as her feet jump. Unaware, she had already run for more than three miles. If everything were simple, she could reach her dreams in second, but things were  complicated.

After this, would everything she had done became useless? Of course, not -- not after she remembered those smiling  faces she saw after she assisted them outside the burning houses, and not after she pictured  the image of a father, mother, and a child, hugging each other in front of her.

But, should she just gave up? The world she loved denied her existence.  
firefighter
Still,  no matter what, her heart had already resided within the career she had loved. She was not going to give up without a fight. 

firefighter
That day was her day off, but she would take a chance to go inside. If running could not stop herself from thinking those, maybe flying in the sky would.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
She opened her arms as she landed on the trampoline. She didn't care for anything else. Everything was in her reach. She was free and enjoying her freedom. She could do anything beyond her imaginations, and the world she loved was ready to embrace her.
FIREFIGHTER
firefighter
firefighter

firefighter
Feeling so light, she was on the top of her dreams, and she believed she could achieve more. Still, no matter how hard she tried to think positively, those facts were stalking on her.
firefighter

"I know I would find you here." said Dave, after she came down from the trampoline. "You were so quiet at lunch. Is there anything  bothering you?." 
She smiled. "Dave, can we go to the cemetery now? Today is my grandmother's death anniversary."
firefighter
.
"Dave." Lila said after they arrived at the cemetery. "I lied. This is not my grandmother's death anniversary. Right now, you must be thinking that I'm a woman who cries easily, but that's who I am, a sentimental woman."
"I know... and I fell in love with it. I fell in love with a sentimental  woman."

***
 firefighter
"If there's anything bothering you, you can always talk to me." Dave said after they sat on the ground. He stared at her cautiously, worrying whether she had  heard the news about the policy.
Photobucket 

"They are going to fire me, right?" Lila's statement shocked him,  but he tried to remain calm.
"They are going to let or will make you go, but it hasn't been firmed yet. Tim and Manne are going to back us up and talk to the City Council about the possibility to consider another treatment of  the new policy. We didn't know about this new rule before our marriage, and it should not have been applied retroactively."
FIREFIGHTER

"Dave, do you possibly believe they are going to swallow their own words? Few against the city? They must have thought carefully about the consequences if people like us would appeal against them. Maybe it's time for me to stop." said Lila with a low voice.
Photobucket

"Lila, this is your dream. This is what it's all about. Your life. You've taken a long  way to reach here. You cannot just give up like that, especially not because of those people."

firefighter
"Don't worry, Dave. I'm not giving up on my dreams. This is not my only dream."

Photobucket
"What I really want is to be useful for others. I'm not going to give up so easily on this, so you don't have to be worried about that, Dave. Whatever my decision will be, it's going to be my fully consideration without anyone forcing me into it. I'm not going to blame anyone for my own decision."
"I'm glad to hear that,  but if they  insist to let you go with force, I will..."
firefighter
"What? What will you do, Dave?"
Photobucket

"I will make them taste their own medicine. I will leave the department." Dave's voice filled with anger over the discrimination and injustice.
Photobucket

"Dave... I've just realized how handsome you are when you're feeling angry. Thanks for being so thoughtful."
Photobucket

"You know.." Lila said again. "You're right. They have to taste their own medicine someday. I believe some of them have been rescued at least once by a woman, and their mothers are also women."

firefighter
"But, if you do that. You are giving up on your dream. I certainly don't want to be the one who cause it. Just believe me, Dave. Whatever happens, I'm sure I can handle it. I don't want to drag you along." Dave observed her closely,  to the woman he loved so deeply. There was always something about her that made him fall deeper and deeper.
"Lila, there's one more thing that made me in love with you more. It's your optimism."
"Really? Thank you, Dave, but, people will change. If I lose it, will you still love me?"
"Of course, Lila. As I've promised for better or worse, I'm going to be beside you until death come between us. Even if I die, remember that I will still be here... in your heart." He touched her chest where her heart resided.
Photobucket
And then he kissed her cheek gently.
***

"Eh, what- what are you going to do, Dave?" Lila was almost out of breaths as he pinned her on the ground. Her face blushed, but she felt so happy inside.
"Angel, there's no one else around."
"But, what if someone comes or the guard finds us here?"
Photobucket
"They won't. This place is too quiet for someone to come here. Probably the guard is sleeping in his own house with his wife right now."
"But, Dave...."."
Photobucket
"I love you, Lila."
***
firefighter
"Sssh, did you hear that?"Lila whispered.
"Heard what? I didn't hear a thing. It's probably squirrels, come my love." Dave continued to kiss her again.
"Wait!" She got up. This time, her face burned hot.
"I swear it must be someone or something! Hurry up and pretend there's nothing happened!"
They quickly got up, cleaned their shirts and took off the leaves from their hair.

"Am I missing something here?"

It wasn't the guard, or a ghost, or a ghost that looked like someone. Wasn't he the DeAndre, the famous rock star? What was a man like him doing there?

"De- De Andre! Can I have your autograph?" Dave asked him in thrill.
"Certainly. Oh, well - well -well, who is this lovely Lady? Her eyes are so beautiful, even the moonlight fall into the lake could not defeat her beauty. Can I have your number, Miss?"
Photobucket
"I'm married, old guy!" Lila said, completely ignored the fact that he was a famous rock star, a guy who women adored so much.
"Eh... DeAndre. Let me introduce her. She's my wife, Lila."
"Lila?Well, you have one hell of a Lady there." DeAndre stared at Lila with flirtatious eyes.
"Geez.. I-I don't know what to say. Thanks, DeAndre."
"Let's go, Dave!" asked Lila. " I'm not feeling so comfortable around here.
***
Several days later, Lila came to the fire station to talk to Tim.
firefighter
"I have sent them email. I also have forwarded it to you, all the head office, and all the firefighters here. Manne and most of the women working in fire stations also have signed the petition. Maybe, The City Council will hold a meeting after they read it."
"Wow, you surely have been busy for these last few days, Lila,"
"Yes, I did. This not to make them keep hiring me here. I did this because women, the generations before and after me deserved to be treated equally and to be given the same opportunities."
Tim closed his laptop and observed her closely. "Lila, I admired your courage. I wish you luck for this."
"Thanks, Tim. I need more than luck, but whatever the outcome will be, at least our voice had been heard, and I'm sure that others will fight for it too."

Utopia by Alanis Morissette on Grooveshark

To be Continued

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing chapter, MJ! Fantastic writing. I don't know where to begin. I guess the beginning. ^^

I love how Manne keeps fighting for Tim to consider pulling some strings to keep Lila. A true woman sticking up for another!

I feel so sorry for Lila, but she's determined and smart -- she'll come up with a way to make this work, or she'll handle leaving her job with dignity, I hope.

You captured some amazing shots in this one, too. I'm a bit curious how you got them to lay on the ground like on the bed, but I assume you used move-objects to move them off the bed and onto the ground? I never had luck with that because they'd still be 'floating'. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. ;)

I love DeAndre's little 'interruption'. He's always amused me, in my games... In fact, he seems to have a *talent* for interruption, lol.

I see what you meant about having trampoline shots! I love them.

I can't wait for the next chapter... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Lila!

Berry said...

ooo how naughty! Right there in the grass. hehe! You always have fun photos ^^

PiB - Nicarra said...

Great stuff.

It's definitely not fair to retroactively make such a policy. Especially if it only covers recent marriages and not older ones.

Excellent trampoline shots. Good work with the piccies in general.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Dee said...

Love the update M.J. and the screenshots. It's all fantastic.
Some how, some way she just has to be able to keep her job. She would be so miserable without it.

DeAndre....shame on you. It was funny though when they almost got caught.

I love the expressions on Lilas face when she and Dave are talking at the cemetery.

Anonymous said...

DeAndre cracks me up. He becoming one of my favorite Twinbrook residents.

Huh, what year is it that a business could make such a rule? That won't hold up. Even pretend Sim sexism pisses me off. Go, Lila!

Dee said...

LOL, you tell 'em Chrysame. you go do some whomping up on 'em.

Di Al Martini said...

Hi, thank you for all the comments :) Because of time differences, I must be sleeping while you gave the comments.
@Kaleeko, I used moveobjects cheat and constrainFloorElevation False, deleted the bed, lower the ground, moved them onto the ground, and then made the ground like before. Still, I have them floating a bit. So, I used some photo's tricks or you may say: doing a bit photoshop. Awww...Thank you, I mean... after a week finally I have this done.
@Berry, yes Dave was so naughty ;) and Lila could not resist him.
@PiB, Thanks. I've been doing couple of researches before getting into this. I mean there are some really happening out there and women often be in the most unfortunate position.
@Dee, Thank you. Lila has LTW to be a Firefighter Super Hero but also a family oriented one. Right now, according to my story, she's been thinking a lot about her future and what she really wants.
I was almost missed those expressions as you can see in some of them. I didn't get some proportionally. I was amazed too by them. I love how a sim can have lots of expressions.
@Chrysame, DeAndre cracks me up too with his zebra long pants coming into the graveyard. Like Kaleeko said it seemed he often appeared unexpectedly for a little interruption.

Di Al Martini said...

By the way, don't blame me for the grass thing, Berry. Dave popped out the wish as soon as they arrived there. They didn't get into that because of that DeAndre coming in :D

Dee said...

I think you did a great job catching those expressions. I really feel bad for Lila. The company should not make a policy that applies to couples married before the policy came into effect. Or is that affect? I think it's effect. :)

At the same time, if they are going to be so cruel as to make one of them quit because they are married, then it should apply to all married couples there. But....I can see their point. *ducks* before someone throws something at me. If they are going to make one leave, they would most likely choose the female because they would figure she would be the one most likely to leave anyway. I know it's not fair but it's true. *goes to hide now*

Anonymous said...

Pfft.

Dee said...

*coming out of hiding* ROFL. I knew Chrysame would come back with something but figured it would be worse. :D

Di Al Martini said...

I think it's safe to come out now, Dee ;)

I know this issue is relatively sensitive and things are actually changing now in the world as people try to fight for equality, fairness, etc. But, I guess there are some still happening out there. Of course this is not happening in the game. I have reasons for this ;) and also I hope you can see Lila's character far better on how she handles things in her "life".
As for in the game, Dave is a Captain now, so no way the department will let him go.

Di Al Martini said...

Although they have pretty "good life" until now, Lila is not perfect and so is Dave ;), well no one is perfect. Since this is still hanging on, maybe it will be better to continue this on the next update?

Dee said...

Oh I'm soooo looking forward to the next update.

Di Al Martini said...

Thank you, Dee... thank you :D
By the way I add a poll here, asking which post you like the most. I often read my posts again and realized my mistakes in writing.Of course I am not going to tell you which part. But, the poll will really help me a lot in analyzing it. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I'm definitely looking forward to the next update, too, MJ. :D

It'll take me a little while to decide which of those are best, because I need to go back and at least recap on all of them, but I'll vote on your poll as soon as I've done that, MJ.

Dee said...

That's a hard one MJ. I love them all. I haven't seen one yet that I didn't love. Can I click all? :)
I know I have to choose just one. I'll go ahead and tell you I loved the "The New Beginning" because it drew me into this and I knew from the beginning that I just could not miss a single update. It brought tears to my eyes. Then again, so did the one where she stood him up.

Di Al Martini said...

Thank you Kaleeko and Dee.
Well, I am planning to add another vote after this. Which one you hated the most?
But, of course I am not going to give you all the posts as options. I have filtered them and figured which ones. :D

Dee said...

I can't vote on one I hated because I didn't hate any. I didn't even dislike any.

Anonymous said...

I voted on the one I loved the most. It was the one when Dave got stood up at the altar. It was sad but it really conveyed how he was feeling.

Di Al Martini said...

Aww.. Thank you Dee and you too Chrysame ^_^

Well, I have one I didn't like much, not because of the story/plotline but because of the writing.

Now, I hope that I will still be able to convey their feelings and thoughts even after I've used third person narration.

PiB - Nicarra said...

Hey MJ, I voted.

Generally speaking, you have strong plot lines and great pics. The way you phrase things and sentences does show that English isn't your first language - but you are getting better with practice. So you keep practicing and we get more to read - win win situation. :)

Unknown said...

Okay, this was an incredibly hard vote, because there hasn't been one thing you've written I didn't like, MJ. Every post you've brought something new and interesting that makes me careful to read every word you write.

I think the ones that I like the most are ones that evoke an emotional response, though -- and I, personally, am more effected by tragedy than anything else. That's probably a very obvious thing about me, though, considering how I treat my sims. ;)

So, I voted for the Left Alone post. It's got sadness, and it's also got a sort of 'WTF' moment: everything was going so great, and then suddenly, BAM. Everything changed. Turning points like that in stories are always my favorite.

Okay. There I am going and typing too much, as usual. To sum it up: Emotional connection to the character + Turning Points/Plot Twists = Win. :D

Di Al Martini said...

Thanks PiB and Kaleeko. These answers really help me a lot. Big Time ^_^ I will keep on practicing, PiB.
So, I guess most of you answered the one when Dave got stood up. The poll is still open to anyone willing to vote. Thanks before.

For myself, what I like the most is the Dream.

Di Al Martini said...

By the way, Lila has some habits that I've never seen in other sims. She mourned autonomously every time she went to the graveyard, she also likes to see the beach (really enjoying to watch it while others was enjoying the party) She stood there all alone without me telling her so.

Seaweedy said...

From Seaweedy,
I am sorry she is being forced out.