August 30, 2010

The Falling Angel of Fire Part 6

firefighters 

As she opened her luggage and put her clothes onto the bed, a smile decorated her face. A box of gift was laid  on the bed, next to clothes neatly folded. She saved it for someone whom she loved the most, although that someone might not have realized it. At least, she's finally here: far from Sunset Valley and her luxurious villa which surrounded by marbles sculptures and finest paintings. Compare to it, the place she was staying appear more like a shack. Even though, she must admit, sometimes, she only exaggerated things. Actually, a few meters away, there were three sculptures stood in the corner, made by her son-in-law. Of course, those sculptures were not perfect as works of art, but beautiful enough to decorate the house and the main thing was: she was finally home, so close to her only child.

dreams_pillow
Still, she expected more, especially from her son-in-law. Lila getting a high education certainly wasn't for nothing. If she threw her opportunity, at least her husband should afford her better. It infuriated her how young generations like them were throwing all of the good opportunities out there. Lila only wanted to become a firefighter, even when the fire station was about to fire her. Meanwhile, Dave, who actually had become a Captain, cared less to provide a better house or a fancy car.
dreams_pillow
"Why are you late? Where did you park your car?"
"What? You don't have it? You have to work hard then! Do you know Lila's friends have already had two cars?" Her voice came out so loud and clear that made a guy like Marc Brandt smirked at the man whom her daughter married to.
dreams_pillow
That afternoon, everyone near the supermarket noticed everything. However, Katharina continued to scold and Dave only bowed his head, getting humiliated in front of his wife and acquaintances. He did not try to give a response or snap back at his mother-in-law.
dreams_pillow 
"Mother, we are in a public place." Lila tried to remind her, but even her own daughter failed to persuade her to stop. Lila hoped that after the day they spent together at the firehouse, she would, at least, stop intimidating them. Yet, it would take harder effort and longer time to influence someone to change. Maybe, her mother would not even change at all.
Photobucket
Being torn between her mother and her husband, she chose her husband, especially when her mother was being unreasonable. What more she could expect from them, a house like hers?  Lila had been there and instead of happiness, she felt alone, living in such a large house.  
Photobucket
Compare to those years in luxury, she'd already had a wonderful life in a simple house which her husband had built for her.
Photobucket
If only her mother could see how her eyes sparkling every time her husband looked at her and smiled.
 
Her mother said: "You cannot live just by love!" That statement was quite true, but Lila and Dave had already been living in a good condition. They did not have to sleep in an alley or was confused about how to earn money  so just they could eat on the following day. If only her mother could see that there were other things in life money could not buy.
 
Yet, each one measured happiness differently, and she could not force her mother to feel the same way or to change principles and her ways of living. Katharina could not be the exact person her daughter wanted her to be.
Photobucket
One thing for sure, Lila was already happy with her own life. That was the most important thing. She wanted to live her life with her husband, nothing more and nothing less. Yet, she had been thinking about something else. Something so precious and valuable that she would even give up her dreams for having it.
 
"I'm sorry, honey! I forgot about your foot." said Lila after found herself leaping into his arms. Her mother was in the supermarket and there was only the two of them besides pedestrian and cars passed by. It was a cold night, and she felt sorry for her mother's behavior, although Dave said nothing about it. Then, things were getting a bit "out of hands" as they were just a newly married couple.
 
Dave told Lila that he was okay with her mother being like that. Still, he could not hide his humiliation when Katharina started tormenting him again.
dreams_pillow
"What do you mean that you only have savings in the bank? Don't you have stocks in the market or even bonds?" He wasn't sure if he needed to answer the question. Those things would give him troubles because he had little knowledge about investing.

"Lower risk means lower return. You should learn much while you are young. You still have time off for heaven's sake!" Dave only narrowed his eyes hearing that. He loved high risks. He surely was, but not in that kind of area.
Photobucket
Still, he kept  trying to impress her, even though it made things worse.
Photobucket
Even the story of his achievement as a firefighter did not work.  "So you feel proud because of that? What if you got killed and made my daughter a widower?"
Photobucket
His sculptures did not impress her a bit and his jokes only worsened her headaches. "What? What are you talking about? Just- just leave… okay?"

She even accused him of fooling around with another woman. "Who had just called you?"
"My friend, Eva Drudge."
Photobucket
"A woman?! Listen to me, young man! If you're cheating on my daughter, I will hunt you even from hell."
Photobucket
"Eva is my friend. There's nothing between us. I don't understand why  you have to be so negative."
dreams_pillow 
The only time she made  funny faces with him was because she was busy thinking about something else, but soon she aware of it.
dreams_pillow 
"Dave, I see you as a nice gentleman, and I know you would do anything for my daughter, right? I heard that she must leave her job as a firefighter."
 
"How do you...? Did Lila tell you about that?"
 
"No, she had not. I was hoping she did. Anyway, since she will lose her job soon, your income will be reduced. I'm thinking to let you both stay in my house in Sunset Valley. It will eventually be hers, and she can run a business with me. So, if you can persuade her to…"
 
"You mean Lila and I should move to Sunset Valley?"
 
"That's the point. It will be good for both of you. You can leave your job as a firefighter and then help me  run the business. Surely, you could not rely on being a firefighter forever. The job is  dangerous. Do you want to see my daughter mourn for the loss of her husband in the line of duty? Besides, being a firefighter  you will earn fewer than running a business."

Dave stood still. He was quite shocked hearing it. Had she planned it perfectly, setting up the future for her daughter and him?

"Personally, I did  plan to work in Sunset Valley, but it's because by doing that  she would be able to keep her job here. "
 
"So, wouldn't it be a good opportunity at a right time?" Katharina asked.
dreams_pillow 
It sounded like one, but...  "You should talk about it yourself. Sometimes, I cannot change her mind. I cannot help you."
 
Katharina  grumbled as he walked away.  This man was so stupid to let a good chance to go by.

Or

 Was he?
dreams_pillow 
Would he let go the  opportunity when everything he dreamed of had already within his reach?
 
Just a little further away, and it would be perfect.
dreams_pillow 
A wife, a career, a house, and  children, then everything would be perfect.
firefighter,firefighter 
What more he could ask for?
But, what if she was right? What if something happened to him?
Photobucket
"Mr. Firefighter,  please tell me a story!" asked a boy who had just played catch with him. His name is Ti-Ning Hunter.
dreams_pillow
It was two weeks ago when Dave carried him out of a burning house.
dreams_pillow
Photobucket
He was so scared seeing the fire and people in panic. Thankfully, the fire had not left him a trauma.
dreams_pillow
 And he seemed very fond of firefighters.
"Okay Ti-Ning, but after this you should be going home soon."

 
 ***
"It's getting  dark. Wanna have a ride with me?" Dave's thumb pointed to the fire truck.
 
"Yay!" The boy shouted happily, clapped his hands and tapped his foot.
Photobucket

"Fastened your seat belt, Officer! Enjoy the ride!"
Photobucket

***
 Meanwhile back at home, Katharina approached her daughter and said:
"Lila, I have something to give you."
"What is it, mother?"
Katharina smiled and then handed her a gift.  Lila stared closely at the box. She  wasn't expecting a gift.  Still, she opened it.
Photobucket
 "Mother, this.."
 
"I bought this in a store on my way here. Your father once gave you a music box with dancing unicorn, and you were so thrilled and carried it everywhere even to your school. You could not even sleep without it. I wish I could find the same like that."

 
"This is beautiful, mother. Thank you."  She smiled and opened the lid. 
Photobucket
She did not know the title of the song, but she could not forget the tune. It was her lullaby and it reminded her about the memories with her father.

"You left so many things in your room:  clothes, prom dress, books, trophies; but you don't have to take them, maybe you can stay there again?"

"Stay there?"

"Yes. there are lots of rooms. It will eventually be yours anyway, so...  would you go back with me, Lila?"

 "Mother...I'm sorry. It's not that I don't want to stay with you, but here my husband has his career, friends, our house. And Twinbrook is the place where I work, so ..."

 "Do you mean, you don't want to stay with me?"

 Photobucket 
"What's a matter with you, Lila? Why are you refusing the offer? For once, you should consider me more than your husband or that stupid career as a firefighter! They even wanted to fire you now!"
 
"Mother, you… How did you.... Why did you say that?"

Seeing her daughter's face, Katharina realized everything she had just said. 
 
"Dear... That- that's not what I mean." She said nervously.
dreams_pillow 
Yet, Lila had already  turned her face away and hurriedly ran outside.
 
"Lila, I...what I said..." Katharina talked to her outside.The night was cold, and she could see her daughter was trembling. She reached for her, but she stopped before she could.
 
"Mother, please stop treating my life like this is yours, stop treating my husband like he is no one. This is my life and he is my husband.  I want you to respect those facts."

" Lila, I ..."
 
"All this time, you were rarely there for me. Your business always came first and your clients mattered to you the most. You even did not come at my wedding day. Now... that I'm feeling happy,  being with someone who really cares for me, I want you to respect that." 
 
Lila stared at her, and as she heard those words, Katharina felt a pain pressing her chest. She tried to hold it and as she saw her daughter's face, she could see the trace of tears on her cheek.

"Honey, are you crying?"
dreams_pillow
"No! I don't want you to see it. You never saw me cry before. Why should I let you see it now?"
 
Lila ran into the house in tears.
Photobucket 
After standing for a while, Katharina followed her. Lila cried as her body curled up in the bed.
Photobucket 
Katharina stood still. She could hear her daughter's sobbing, but confused of what she should do. She sat next to her on the bed, still  hoping that her daughter would eventually stop crying.
dreams_pillow
Her hands shook as she tried to touch her forehead. She wanted to stroke her hair, but before she could do that, Lila had already gotten up.
dreams_pillow 
"I'm going to prepare for dinner." Lila said without looking at her.
 
"Lila, please sit beside me.The dinner can wait."
 
Lila stood in silence for a while and then finally sat  beside her.
 
"Maybe what I did was unpleasant to you, but I have to make sure that Dave is a good husband. Dear, all I did was for your own happiness."
 
"I know... But, how many it would take to make you see it?"
 
"Plenty, my dear, he should have given you his best efforts."
 
"He is not a cash machine, mother, and Dave has already given me everything. He loves me and I love him too. It's enough. Can't you see that?" Lila stared at her, hoping that she would end it.
 
Katharina smiled. Her daughter's words reminded her of herself and her own love to her husband. "My child, you should not love a guy too deeply. You don't know what will happen someday. He probably will love you forever, but the worst thing could happen too. He may leave you, either it's for another woman or because of death. He is a firefighter. It's even riskier for you and I don't want you to feel the same way like I was." She sighed, eyes narrowing in sadness. Her mind traveled to the past.

"I love your father, but death came between us. You were so little. I told him to quit his job, but he didn't. I wish I had prevented  him from walking out of the door. I love you and I don't want you to feel the same grieve as I did. I love you so much. You are my only child." She bit her lips as she tried to hold her tears.
 
"Mother, what's wrong?"
dreams_pillow 
Katharina refused to answer. Instead, she cried and  then hugged her tightly. "I love you. I just wanted the best for you. "
 dreams_pillow
"Mother, I…" 

The strong woman finally cried on her shoulder. Lila could not understand it. It happened so suddenly. She could feel her mother's sorrow and  all the barricades that shielded their hearts were falling apart. She  leaned her head on her mother's shoulder. "I love you too, Mom." Lila  rubbed her back, trying to comfort her.

Katharina pulled her body  as Lila wiped the tears off her mother's cheek. It was the first time she saw her mother like that, so vulnerable yet so close to her.  Lila hugged her again as she was eager to replace the memories of feeling lonely and forgotten. Nevertheless, she knew now that her mother had not forgotten or abandoned her.
"Mom, can I ask you a favor?"
"What is it, dear?"
"Can I sleep on your lap?"
dreams_pillow  
Katharina smiled. "Of course, you could, dear." Lila smiled and then laid her head on her lap.
 
Katharina's hands stroke her daughter's hair gently like she often did when Lila was only a child. Sometimes, her daughter did not realize it.
dreams_pillow 
 


Angel by Sarah McLahlan on Grooveshark





"Spend all your time waiting
for that second chance
for a break that would make it okay
there's always some reason
to feel not good enough
and it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction
oh a beautiful release
memory seeps from my veins
let me be empty
oh and weightless and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight"


To be continued...
 

11 comments:

Di Al Martini said...

Finally after a week (perhaps?).
I realize I am getting a bit slow for updates lately and the ending of this part was not supposed to be this one, since there are few more pictures and storyline ahead. I'm trying to post part 7 today. But, it's already late in the evening here, so I may fall into sleep, and the new update will be posted few days again **sighed**

Anyway,.. Welcome Althea quin! I hope you will enjoy reading this blog as much as I love writing it for you all.

PiB - Nicarra said...

Hey MJ, your updates may not be as frequent as some but your quality is very high indeed. Don't rush the writing, it's worth the wait.

Poor Dave, his mother-in-law is a tough woman to please and he can do nothing right. Wrong job, wrong home, wrong way to invest money...

But he and Lila have everything they care about, each other and their jobs. Their love is true, one hopes her mom can see that someday.

Love the framed photos of Dave and Lila scattered around the house.

Deema316 said...

I agree, it's worth the wait.
This has me bouncing back and forth between wanting to strangle Mom and feeling sorry for her.

Dave would never be happy running her business. He's a firefighter, through and through.

I am so happy she asked both of them to live in her house in SV but at the same time I feel they will both be miserable is she is alive and controlling everything. She would eventually cause them to be arguing between themselves because Dave would only be able to take so much before he would have to say something.

Oh my, I'm rambling here but this is just such an interesting story. I too love the framed photos of Dave and Lila and as always you did such a wonderful job with the screenshots.

Di Al Martini said...

Hi, PiB and Dee. Thank you so much for the comments.
Two of Katharina's traits are: grumpy and perfectionist. She's also a workaholic. She doesn't have a hot-headed trait, that's why she often changed her opinions and she doesn't always angry all the time. However, I found her angry even when her mood was good and because she is a perfectionist, she have the option to "point out flaws" to other sims. Dave knew that :) She often argue or insult him autonomously, not just him but Lila too. And it's hard to capture a photo without her being grim visaged.
Okay, I must go to work now. I'll be back to reply on comments and make a comment on another blog, and then writing the new update again.

Deema316 said...

Have a good day at work MJ. I'm on my way to sleep. Really looking forward to the next update. Take your time. I don't want you to feel rushed but I am really looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

That was a nice backstory that you hinted at for the mother. It's good to know what makes her tick.

Lovely update. Take your time. We'll be here and happy when you post.

Thea said...

Wow MJ that was great. I could really feeling the struggle that was going on inside all of them. And amazing pictures! Just perfect. Berry pointed me your way and I am very glad that she did!

Di Al Martini said...

@Chrysame and Thea, Thanks; and thank you to Berry too for pointing Thea to this blog ^_^

Di Al Martini said...

Those photos of Dave and Lila, actually belongs to a simbot. His skill in photography was very high, so I saved him into the bin. As for the poses, I had to set up their mood for romance so their face would show it and they will look into each other eyes; then as usual I used moveobjects on. I had lots of their photos. I love taking pictures in this game.

Katharina is a perfectionist, but her life wasn't. To make it worse, she is a grouchy.

Unknown said...

Great post as usual, MJ. :)

There's so much more to Katharina than meets the eye. She may seem like a snob, but she really is trying to do what she thinks is best for Lila... She just needs to understand that only Lila knows what's really best for her.

However, in the end, it's possible to come with a compromise. If only they'd all sit down and talk about their options, together...! But I of all people should know that the smoothest path between two points is not always the one Sims decide to take. ;)

Lovely setup, and amazing dialogue showing the emotion between the three. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

Di Al Martini said...

Wow, Kaleeko, you read it thoroughly and made a good point. Thank you and I am glad you were able to put up with my writing. All of you have really supported me on this.

^_^ Kaleeko, I know you cannot wait for them to make stupid mistakes, aren't you?